Synergy Dance Studio Sdn Bhd was established in 2004 by Christopher Liew and consists of Borneo Dance Theatre (BDT), Synergy Dance Theatre (SDT), Synergy Tap Crew ,RE-UP Crew, SODA Crew and full time professional Dance theatre BORNEO DANCE THEATRE. This company’s goal is to develop the creative talents of young Sabahans in the following areas: dance, choreography, costume design, costume making, making of props, make-up, stage design, lighting design, multi-media production, and the composing of music. In Synergy Dance’s family, we consist of:
- Synergy Dance Studio: Synergy Dance Studio Sdn Bhd was established in 2004 by Christopher Liew. Synergy Dance Studio offers class for the public which include Ballet, Contemporary Dance, Tap Dance, New Jazz and Hip Hop Dance. We also provide our dance education service at school units to develop the dance education in primary and secondary school. In primary school, we introduce the “Young Dancer Project” since 2007 in Kota Kinabalu and received a good feedback. In 2009, the first school of the “Young Dancer Project” ,Good Shepherd Dance Troupe has received the outstanding award received are championship for the piece “Rain”in KK and Sabah district dance competition, the same groupewin the national champion with piece “Dance As Education” at KL in 2011.
- Synergy Dance Theatre: This company’s goal is to develop the creative talents of young dance artist in the following areas: dance, choreography, costume design, costume making, making of props, make-up, stage design, lighting design, multi-media production, and the composing of music. Every year, SDT trains dancers and prepares technicians for a minimum of four public performances, involving anything from 10 to 200 young people. Performing publicly means that the SDT team needs to reach the highest standard both technically and creatively. There is more information about SDT and its activities on its website:http://mysynergydance.com. There is no doubt that there is a large pool of extremely talented young people in Sabah. As with the performing arts in all countries, such talent needs to be nurtured through the establishment of schools for dance, drama, singing, and so on. In 2012, SDT participated in the 5th National Chinese Dance Competition for the first time. Their performance piece” Road” won the Outstanding Award and was also selected to represent Malaysia at the Hong Kong 2nd Bauhinia Cup International Dance Invitation Championship held on the 21st August 2012. SDT sees itself as being an important part of the process of theatre performance and dance education. Thus SDT performed annually in Kota Kinabalu since 2005. These performance are : Body in the black box (2005 ), Pandora Box (2006 ), Corner (2007), Snow in my heart (2008), You can’t imagine (2010), The Legend of Mount Kinabalu (2011), No-Love-Story(2012), Marking our Life (2013). Synergy Dance Theatre II (SDT II) : SDT II is the “Young Dancer Project” that we provide in the studio that consist of young dancers age from 9 to 12 years old from different school. This is a program to develop dance artist for the future and the content of the training involve contemporary dance, Chinese cultural dance and Tap dance.
- Re-Up Crew: ReUp Crew is form at 2005 which recruit the good dancers from our Hip Hop Class students who wish to develop more in Hip Hop Dance Culture. It provide more intense dance skill class in Hip Hop dance and train the attitude of dancers through theatre and event performance.
- SODA crew: SODA crew is the short form of “Super Outstanding Dance Artist” which formed at 2011. The SODA crew recruit talented dancers from ReUp Crew who has their own dance personality the Hip Hop Dance culture.
- Synergy Tap Crew: Synergy Tap Crew was formed at 2005 which originally is the students of the Tap class offered by Synergy Dance Studio.
- Borneo Dance Theatre (BDT) : The Borneo Dance Theatre is the first professional full-time dance theatre in Borneo which consist of Artistic Director and dancer: Christopher Liew, Tang Sook Kuan who who hold the MA. BA. Creative Arts(UMS), Debbie Liew Shuk Sheng, Melanie Thien Li Ni who graduated from NAFA Singapore, and Susey Mongool who graduated in Degree in Creative Art (Major in Dance) from UMS. The Borneo Dance Theatre wish to develop the unique art language of contemporary dance theatre language of Borneo and share the ideas out.